By law, employees of Oregon higher education institutions are mandatory reporters of child abuse and neglect.  This legal obligation to report applies 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days of the year, including work and non-work time. For a current and complete list of public or private officials who are considered mandatory reporters please refer to Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 419B.005.

Separate from any legal duty, non-employees and volunteers are also required by university policy to report suspected child abuse discovered while performing duties related to OSU youth programs.

Both employees and non-employees must immediately report suspected child abuse and neglect to either the Department of Human Services or law enforcement.


Make a Report:

For urgent or imminent safety concerns, including incidents in which a child or other individual is at serious risk of physical harm, or to report a crime in progress, call 9-1-1.

For non-emergencies, call 1-855-503-SAFE (7233). This toll-free number allows you to report abuse of any child or adult to the Oregon Department of Human Services.


Post-Report :

OSU Mandatory Reporting Notification Form (for instances related to university activities, locations, or affiliated persons)


Policies & Laws:

University Policy 07-040 (Protection of Minors)

Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 419B.005


Additional Resources:

Frequently Asked Questions about Reporting Child Abuse & Neglect at OSU

Definitions of terms "abuse" and "child" per ORS 419B.005 (1) and 419B.005 (2)

Definitions of Child Abuse and Neglect from the Child Welfare Information Gateway

What is Child Abuse and Neglect?  Recognizing the Signs & Symptoms from the Child Welfare Information Gateway

Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) Mandatory Child Abuse Reporting webpage

See Training section for related content


Request Training:

For those who have more frequent contact with minors, you may schedule a tailored training for your group by contacting the Office of Youth Safety & Compliance at [email protected] or call 541-737-9362.